"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loosen the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? "
As Christians, we have all experienced our share of trials and tribulations. In time of trouble, we reach out to God in prayer. But sometimes, prayer is not enough. Some problems, we face need more than prayer. That is when, fasting should be added. Fasting and Prayer together is one of the most powerful spiritual combination on earth. However, majority of Preachers and churches stay away from teachings about fasting. Many people don't want to say or do anything that will cause them to be uncomfortable to get close to God. After all, the idea of pushing away from the dinner table is not favorable to anyone. No one wants to go without food or water for a specific amount of time. Who does? But as Christians, that is a sacrifice that many of us make for God. The rewards are endless and beneficial to our Christian walk.
Fasting brings humility and alignment with God. It's not a choice but a commandment from God. Jesus said in, Matthew 6:16-18 "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do for they disfigure their faces to show other they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you openly,"
So you see, Jesus said When you fast, not If you fast. For Christians, fasting is a weapon in our spiritual arsenal and you should know how and when to use it.
This is what Fasting can do for you:
This is what Fasting can do for you:
- Fasting helps to give you God's purpose and direction in our lives
- Fasting helps to receive guidance and Anointing from the Holy Spirit. It gives power for miracles, blessings, and breakthroughs in our lives. It increases your will power to pull through whatever you are going through
- Fasting also bring good health and healings in our lives. It cleanse and heals the body, promotes weight loss, eliminates toxins, cleans the body, provides a smooth skin complexion, as the toxins leaves the body, slows the aging process, and increases the possibility of living longer
- Fasting brings financial breakthroughs. The closer we are to God, the more we begin to think BIG, like God. He will begins to give us ideas that can change your financial future forever.
- Fasting brings deliverance, it can break the yoke of any addictions, sin, temptations, bondages, and any/or bad habits. God can break any/all strongholds.
- Fasting brings great, powerful unity, and blessings to any group of people that have gathered to fast together. Matthew 18:20 says, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them."
- Fasting also produces faith and depending on Jesus, instead of depending on food
We should all strive to be like Jehoshaphat for in time of a great defeat, against the Moabites, Ammonites, and Meunites who came to wage war against Judah, the King didn't know what to do. he was scared and frightened. In 2 Chronicles: 20:1-4, he asked God's people to stop eating until God prevailed in their situation. Jehoshaphat knew that to fast before God was the best way to show his complete helplessness and humility before God. He renounced the natural and sought the supernatural. The King and his people cried out to God. "God, I don't want food. I want you. You are more important than food." Seeking God through prayer and fasting are essential in our lives.
Are you going through insurmountable challenges in your life? Be like King Jehoshaphat and let God know he is the only food that you need. I guarantee he will hand over your enemies to you.
For more scriptures and verses on Fasting&Praying visit:
Sammie Ward is a Author/Writer/Publisher. Don't forget to follow her at Twitter and Facebook
Copyright(c) 2015 Sammie Ward