Thursday, April 30, 2015

Ghost Talk-Flash Fiction (Part 3)







Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old, Gabrielle Pearce was involved in a tragic car accident, that left her in a coma for six months. After waking up, she doesn't remember anything about that night, which took the life of her mother, and left her with the ability to see and talk to ghosts.





                                                         Ghost Talk-Flash Fiction(Part 3)
                                                                       Revelations


Gabrielle threw the blanket back. Swinging her legs off the bed, she slipped her feet down into the hospital slippers. She had to find out what room David Huffington was in. She'd only met Nurse Huffington once but she was sure, she was going through a difficult time.

She opened the door and poked her head out. The Nurses' station and hallway was empty. She scurried past the desk to the elevator. She remembered, Nurse Huffington saying David was on the Neurosurgery Unit.

Gabrielle pressed the button and nervously glanced over her shoulders. The doors opened.  It was empty. She rushed in__ her eyes scanned the information map. Neurosurgery was on the fifth floor.

When the doors reopened, Gabrielle spotted, Nurse Huffington surrounded by a group of family and friends. Everyone was crying.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Boucher was saying. "We did all we could"

Nurse Huffington dabbed at her eyes. "I know you did." She began to rock back and forth. "Thank you."

"I just wish we could have saved him," Dr. Boucher continued. "I understand you want a autopsy on your son. I hope you don't think we are the blame."

"No. No. Dr. Boucher, that's not it. I'm sure you and your staff did everything that you could," Nurse Huffington voice rose an octave. "I want to know what happened to my son."

"Mom is taking my death hard," David replied out of nowhere.

Gabrielle almost jumped out of her skin. "Don't do that, you scared me to death."

"Funny." David answered.

"Sorry." Gabrielle answered. "Wrong choice of words."

David looked attentatively at his mother. "I'm worried about her.  She's not going to get over my death anytime soon.  She's been through a lot the last couple of years, first losing my father in Iraq, and now me. I don't know how much more she will be able to take."

Gabrielle wasn't sure how to respond. She didn't have the words.

"She looks strong," David continued. "But she really isn't"

"Your mother is stronger that you think." Gabrielle replied.

David shook his head. "She hasn't gotten over my father's death. Now me" his voice trailed off.

"It's going to be alright." Gabrielle answered.

"Sounds like, Mom is suspicious about my death," David changed the subject. "If I know her, she won't rest until she finds out the truth."

"Your mother mentioned that you were found on the side of the road," Gabrielle said to David.
She didn't miss the odd looks the nurses were giving her. They began to whisper among themselves. She figured it was something she'd have to get use to.

Gabrielle waved a hand in mid-air. "Hey, just talking to myself. Don't mind me."

"They think you are crazy," David said.

"Tell me about it," Gabrielle answered. "Now tell me about the night you were attacked."

"Isn't that what you were suppose to find out," David answered. "Now that I think about it, we have a lot in common."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, for one thing neither of us can remember anything about our past. I was drawn to you."

"We don't know if you were drawn to me," Gabrielle replied in a sarcastic tone."

"And the jokes just keep on coming." David said with a straight face.

Gabrielle tried not to laugh.

"I'm sticking to you like glue," David said. "At least until I find out the truth. Lets go into a empty room and talk more about it. You're drawing too much attention."

Gabrielle chuckled.

"Chuckling to yourself doesn't help." David said.

"Were you always this obnoxious?" Gabrielle inquired.

Gabrielle turned and disappeared into the room, when she heard Nurse Huffington voice call her name.

"Gabrielle, what brings you here?"

"I heard about your son," Gabrielle answered. "I am sorry for your loss."

"That almost sounded like you meant it," David chimed in.

Gabrielle ignored him.

David walked over and stood next to his mother. His face became serious. It was full of pain and anguish. He placed a hand on her shoulder in a comforting gesture.

"Sweetie, you've done more than enough just by being here." Nurse Huffington answered, "It's not like you knew David."

"It's true we never met," Gabrielle looked at David. "But I feel like I know him."

"You would have liked him. My David was a wonderful son," Nurse Huffington boasted. "Everyone who met him, liked him. He was smart, handsome, athletic, and very caring." A far away glance appeared in her eyes. "Everyone always said how caring he was. He always had a kind word for everyone." She dabbed at her eyes again. "I know Mother's always say that about their children but David really was  a good son."

"Do you have any other children?" Gabrielle inquired.

"I have a son and daughter," Nurse Huffington replied. "David was the oldest."

"I remember them," David said. 'Samuel and Amber. Sam is a couple of years younger than me and Amber is the youngest. We were close," he said in a somber tone.

"I'm sorry," Gabrielle answered aloud.

"You don't have to apologize," Nurse Huffington answered.

"I know. I just feel like I should"

  "When you were in a coma," Nurse Huffington said. " I watched over you. Took care of you. I feel like I know you. I prayed for the day you would wakeup. I just didn't think, it would be the same day that my David," her voice trailed off. "It's bitter sweet."

Gabrielle reached out and grabbed, Nurse Huffington's hand. Was her awakening a connection with David? He certainly thinks so.

"See even my Mother thinks there's some sort of connection." David chimed in.

Nurse Huffington crossed her arms across her chest. She pulled the sweater tight around here.

"Nurse Huffington," a female, whiney voice said behind them.

Gabrielle turned to a attractive, young girl, around her age. Her blonde hair was cut in a profession  Bob style. Impeccably dressed, she looked as if she stepped off of a page of a magazine.

"I'm so sorry about, David," the girl threw her arms around, Nurse Huffington's neck.

Nurse Huffington frowned. "Thank you child. And you are?"

"Lena Monroe," She introduced herself. "I was a good friend of David's"

Gabrielle glanced at David. He nodded.

"David had to mention me." Lena insisted.

"He may have, "Nurse Huffington said. "I don't remember."

"I understand," Lena replied. "If there is anything, I can do. I mean anything, don't hesistate to ask." She ran a well-manicured hand through her hair. "I feel like I know you, David talked about you all of the time," She opened her Gucci bag and withdrew a tissue.

"Thank you for your kind words," Nurse Huffington replied.

Lean eyes rested on Gabrielle. "Oh my God, Gabby," she exclaimed. "I didn't see you standing there."

"What is she, blind?" David added.

Lena took a step back.  She looked, Gabrielle up and down, then hugged her. "Oh my God," she repeated. "You're out of the coma."

"Uh, yes, I'm fine." Gabrielle wondered how Lena knew her. "Were they friends?" She didn't look like they would be.

"When you were in a coma," Lena continued. "I stopped by often to see how you were."

"I was Gabrielle's nurse, I don't remember seeing you."

Lena blinked, "Well, I meant to come by, I just never got around to it, honest." She said.

"That's Lena for you," David threw in. "It's always about, Lena."

Lena dropped her head. "Gabrielle, the truth is I hate hospitals."

Nurse Huffington sighed. "You came to show support for David, that says a lot."

"Like I said, David and I were good friends." Lena repeated. "I would do anything for him."

Nurse Huffington refocused on Gabrielle. "Why don't you head back to your room? You just woke up  this morning. You had a long day, you should go and get some rest."

'Will you be alright?" Gabrielle inquired.

"I will be fine."

"My uncle is a police detective," Gabrielle said. "Maybe he can look into what happened to David."

"What do you mean look into?" Lena chimed in.

"Just some questions about that night," Nurse Huffington said. "The police are looking into it but so far, they haven't come up with anything. A fresh set of eyes maybe what the case needs."

"I'm not surprised the police haven't come up with anything," Lena said. " It's just our tax dollars going to waste."

Gabrielle and our Nurse Huffington glanced at each other.

"What?" Lena echoed.

"I'll get my uncle's information for you."

"I appreciate it. Now head back to your room."

"Only if you promise to give me David's memorial information," Gabrielle repled.

Nurse Huffington nodded. "I promise. Now get going."




"Where have you been?" Grandma Ava inquired, when Gabrielle came into the room. "Speed is here to see you."

Gabrielle's eyes landed on the handsome, young man, sitting in the chair across from the bed.

Speed's deep blue eyes caught hers. He smiled a big, sloppy smile. A moment later, she was in a tight bear hug, and unable to breathe.

"Gabby. God how I have missed you," He squeezed harder, lifting her small frame off her feet.

"I can't breathe," Gabrielle managed to get out.

Speed spun her around, before putting her on her feet. "It's good to know you're alright. Why didn't you call or text me? As your best friend, I should have been the first person that you called when you woke up."

Gabrielle didn't know how to respond. Besides her close family, no one knew about her memory loss.

"Speed, be careful." Grandma Ava warned. "She just woke up. We don't want her  to overdo it."

"Sorry, Gabby." Speed said. "It's just good to see you."

"I'm ok," Gabrielle said. "Nurse Huffington son died, I went to pay my respects."

"His name was, David Huffington," Lena chimed in "He was a senior at our school."

"What are you doing here, Lena?" Speed inquired.

"What are you talking about?" Lena inquired " I came to see if, I could be of any help to Mrs. Huffington."

"Do they know what happened to David?" Speed asked.

"Just that he was found on the side of the road with his head bashed in," Lena explained.

"You are so crass," Grandma Ava said.

Lena placed a hand to her chest."I'm just repeating what everyone is saying."

"It was all over the news," Speed continued. "The police don't have any leads. They sat up a Tip line. Tips are pouring in. Maybe someone saw something."

Gabrielle looked up when David entered the room. He sat on the edge of the bed.

""I wonder why David was out on the old county highway," Lena opened her bag. She rambled around, removing a finger nail file. "I saw him a couple of hours earlier."

David sat up straight.

"You saw, David the night the night he was killed?" Gabrielle asked.

Lena began filling her nails. "Yeah, I saw him at Brad's house."

"They were best friends," Speed added. "It's no surprise he'd be at his house."

David shrugged his shoulders. "I remember, Brad and the party." He said aloud. Only Gabrielle was able to hear him.

"It's basketball season, Brad likes to give basketball parties at his house." Lena said.

"I heard about those parties," Speed answered. "I've never been invited."

"Brad only invites people from what he calls the 'in' crowd." Lena said. "That leaves you out."

Speed threw Lena a hard look.

"Nurse Huffington said, David was popular," Gabrielle replied.

"He was very popular," Lena said in a dreamy tone. "He was smart. Handsome. Captain of the Debate Team. Captain of the basketball team.  He was even in the Glee Club. Everyone liked him."

"Not everyone," Speed said in a sarcastic tone.

"Don't hate, Speed." Lena teased.

"I was pretty popular" David said.

"Is your memory coming back?" Gabrielle spoke aloud without realizing it.

"Memory back?" Speed asked. "What memory?"

"Never mind," Gabrielle said and focused on Lena "Who was at the party?"

"The usual group, Brad, L.C, Jason, Miranda, and Tiffany," she said with attitude.

"What do you have against, Tiffany?" Speed asked with a chuckle.

Lena rolled her eyes. "Nothing except, she thinks she was, David's girlfriend."

David ran a hand across his forehead. "Tiffany? Tiffany?" He snapped his finger. "Wait a second, Tiffany Hayes," His voice dropped an octave. "I remember, Tiffany very well."

"Was she, David's girlfriend?" Gabrielle asked.

Lena tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Tiffany used to be Brad's girl, before she began seeing, David."

"Love triangle?" Speed singsonged.

"Tiffany was never, Brad's girlfriend," David defended.

"They were just good friends." David replied.

"I wonder how, Brad felt about that," Gabrielle answered.

"If Brad was bothered about it, he didn't show it," Lena said. "he dated other girls, and the three of them still hung out."

Brad and I have been friends since grade," David said. "We were like brothers. A girl would never come between us." He stood. "Ask, Lena what happened at the party?"

"Lena, did anything happen at the party?" Gabrielle quipped. "Anything out of the ordinary."

"Why are you asking?" Speed inquired. "I though Uncle Jacob was the Detective in the family."

"He is." Gabrielle answered. "I'm just curious."

Lena tilted her head to one side."Now that you mention it, there was a strange vibe between the three that night,"

"What was it?" Gabrielle asked.

"Look, Gabby. I'm here to see you." Speed strolled over and stood next to Gabrielle. "I don't want to spend all night taking about Brad and his friends. We have a lot to catch up on."

"Like I said,  Speed,stop hatin." Lena replied. "As I was saying before I was interrupted. While I was there, I saw Tiffany and Brad in a heated argument out by the pool. Then David walked up and it  turned into a shouting match. Tiffany had to step between them."

"What?" Gabrielle raised a eyebrow. "What happened after that?"

"Well, Tiffany left with David," Lena explained. "I left after that.  It was too much drama for me. The Boucher's are a wealthy and powerful family, but there is always drama around them."

"The Bouchers?" Gabrielle inquired.

"You met, Brad's mother." Lena pointed out. "Dr. Cindy Boucher."

"Brad's mother was David's surgeon?" Gabrielle asked.

"What are the odds in that?" Speed asked.

"It's a coincidence," Lena threw in. "Dr. Boucher is a excellent surgeon. She's the best in her field."

"Maybe," Gabrielle said. "But I am going find out more about the Bouchers."




-End of Ghost Talk(Part 3)



Sammie Ward is a Author/Writer/Publisher. Visit her website at: http://www.authorsammieward.com. Don't forget to follow her at Twitter and Facebook 



Copyright(c)2015 Sammie Ward  

No comments:

Post a Comment