Monday, March 30, 2015

Weekend Escapade (Cub Bites) from Sammie Ward





Weekend Escapade


In "Weekend Escapade," Shana Dobbs is trying to bounce back after a painful divorce. She vows never to get hurt again and has sworn off ever falling in love. To put her life back in prospective, she decides to spend the weekend at a friends' cottage. But Shana's new outlook on life is tested when a mix-up in dates causes her to share the cottage with handsome, hunk, and business Evan Smith.





Buy Now At Amazon

                                                                
*****

I stuffed the copy of the final divorce decree in the top drawer of the dresser with extra force. After four years, my marriage to Earl Boykins was officially over. To be honest, it was over as soon as we said ‘I do.’ The only good deed that came out of the resolution of the marriage, was that I reclaimed my maiden name. A successful financial consultant, I didn’t need or want monetary support from my ex.

Closing the drawer, I took a deep breath. Like the drawer, that chapter of my life was closed. It was time to move on.

Releasing a slow breath, I stole a glance in the mirror, and ran my fingers through my hair. It was a good thing I was on my way to a hair appointment, because I had new growth sprouting up like weeds. I’d been so busy with work lately; I hadn’t been able to schedule my appointment. I was sure, I was going to hear it from my stylist, Ty James.

I fluffed my hair, thinking of the new hairstyle I wanted to try. Maybe Ty wouldn’t be so hard on me once he saw the new look I was thinking of trying. He’d been after me for a while to wear my hair shorter, instead of my long flowing mane.

I grabbed my keys and purse, and hurried outside. Once behind the wheel of my car, I was still a little edgy. Since leaving my parents’ house, six years ago, this was the first time I was on my own.

When I arrived at New Waves Hair and Weave, Ty was still working on his previous appointment. His skilled fingers and mouth were running a mile a minute. He had a steady flow of clients. I was lucky to get booked into a cancelled slot.

Ty’s eyes landed on me the moment I came through the glass doors. He smiled from ear-to- ear and waved. “Take a seat. I’ll be with you in a minute,” he said in a light, sensitive voice.
Ten minutes later, I relaxed in the chair, listening to the soothing sound of jazz music, filtering through the hidden ceiling speakers. I allowed the warm steam to caress my face. The rich avocado mask opened my pores, and the cool cucumber solution placed over my eyes attempted to alleviate the stress of the divorce and of my job as Administrative Assistant of the Department of Agriculture.

“No he didn’t,” Ty squealed in disbelief. “Let me get this straight, Earl told you he committed adultery because you accused him of it.”

“That’s what he said,” I chimed in. “You and I both know I accused him because he was cheating.” Ty placed his hands on his thin hips, flashing me an animated stare. “He could have come up with a better excuse than that. Well, everything is final now, you don’t have to worry about that no-good, cheating scoundrel.”

“I know,” I said in a dry voice. Ty swirled me around in the chair to face him. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, I just feel like a failure.”

Ty pointed the brush at me. “Oh no you don’t. I’m not going to let you blame yourself for that man’s infidelities. He cheated on you, remember?”

“You’re right. You’re right.” I bobbed my head up and down in agreement.

“One day you will meet the right man.” He arched an eyebrow. “If I were into women, I’d definitely go after you.”

I had to laugh.

He reached up, running his fingers through my hair. “Now what do you want me to do with this mess? It looks awful. New growth everywhere.”

I frowned. “I’m thinking of a new style to go along with my new attitude.” I reached in my purse and showed him the picture that I cut out of a black hair magazine. I wanted my shoulder-length hair cut short like Halle Berry once wore.

Ty studied the picture. “You sure about this?”

“C’mon, Ty. You have been trying to convince me to cut my hair for a while, and now you’re questioning my decision.”

“I just want you to be sure.” He placed the photo on the mirror at his station. “Alright. Let’s get started. Are you still headed up to the cottage this weekend?”

I didn’t respond. Ty swiveled the chair around, again “You are still going?”

 “I’m having second thoughts.”

The first time I approached Ty about the use of the cottage, Earl and I had been separated for six months. Earl sweet-talked me into giving the marriage another chance. We spent a romantic weekend at the cottage on a second honeymoon.

Several months later, I discovered Earl was still playing around. I filed for divorce, this time without hesitation. I received the final decree in the mail a week ago.

When I first inquired about the use of the cottage, I was sure I could go back without Earl.
Now, I was not so sure.




-End of Excerpt-

Sammie Ward is a Author/Writer/Publisher/Blogger. Be sure to follow her at Twitter and Facebook.





                                     The full audio book is available at: Amazon.com and Audible.com 



                             Copyright(c)2015 Sammie Ward        

No comments:

Post a Comment